Aug 11, 2013

The Loon

Voice of the Wilderness
by Joan Dunning

Beautiful book about a most interesting bird. I was introduced to Joan Dunning by coming across her book on bird nesting behavior while browsing library shelves; a search turned up this one as well. I clearly remember the calls of loons on a lake in Canada, where I went camping as a kid. It was nice to learn more about them. Dunning's book follows the birds through the four seasons, while describing their behavior and habits. It's a good combination of both scientific facts and lovely prose. The author's delightful black-and-white drawings and color paintings make it a book to treasure.

Rating: 4/5 ........ 143 pages, 1985

2 comments:

  1. OOH! my daughter would love this, as well as myself. I love loons. I haven't heard of this one, and it sounds lovely. I haven't heard the loon for a while, but when I do, it always makes me feel wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sounds loons make. When I was a kid I used to imitate them on the lake. Sometimes they called back!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.