Jul 22, 2008

Sing Down the Moon

by Scott O'Dell

In Sing Down the Moon, Scott O'Dell recounts some of the events during a time of persecution against Native Americans, through the eyes of a young Navajo girl. She's out tending sheep one day with a friend on the mesa when the Spaniards capture them for slaves. Immediately they plan to escape and return home to their canyon in Arizona. But home will never be the same again. One of the key events of the book was the Long Walk, but most of the story is about their escape and attempts to evade soldiers and enemy tribes. Even though the events are suspenseful, I failed to feel anything but lukewarm about the book. The characters had such stoic, calm personalities, it was difficult for me to envision them as real people. The understated descriptions and stiff dialect felt awkward. I read this book because it was another one of A's childhood favorites. I like O'Dell's Island of the Blue Dolphins much better. I've also read Zia by the same author, but it was so forgettable I can't even remember enough to give it a blip here.

Rating: 3/5 ........ 120 pages, 1970

3 comments:

  1. A favorite childhood book of mine by Scott O'Dell was Sarah Bishop. I haven't read it in years, but I used to really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's too bad this one wasn't as good as it could have been. you actually got me curious, though, just because the topic is one that interests me. Island of the Blue Dolphins is another one I'd like to read someday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've read this one, but I went on a Scott O'Dell frenzy, one year. It seemed like he'd won a Newbery for every single book he ever wrote -- at least at that time (it's been a while). I loved Island of the Blue Dolphins.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.