Jul 29, 2008

The Complete Stories of Truman Capote

by Truman Capote

I always feel either guilty or stupid when I don't like a well-written book that everyone else says is great. And that some terrible consequence will come of giving it a low rating! Well, here goes- I don't like Truman Capote's writing. After seeing the film Capote, I was really curious about the book In Cold Blood. I tried to read it, I really did. I couldn't. Not even fifty pages. I guess crime fiction really isn't my thing. (I thought this would be better because it's about a true incident). But I still felt like I ought to appreciate this author, so I picked up the collection of his short stories- The Complete Stories of Truman Capote. I forced myself to finish it, because I so wanted to find something to like or admire. The stories all left me totally unmoved. By the time I finished the book, I couldn't remember what most of them were even about. Pathetic, isn't it? Even now, flipping through the pages to try and write something decent here, the only story that rings a bell at all is "Children on Their Birthdays". So maybe I liked that one better than the others, or could relate to it a little bit, or it made me feel sad. But I still can't tell you what it's about. I don't remember. I'm hoping there's another reader out there who shares my sentiments here, but if not, I welcome the barrage! go ahead, cut me down for being unappreciative of a great writer (so he's lauded), or better yet, convince me I should try again. (You'll have to be really convincing).

Rating: 2/5                      300 pages, 2004

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that this one disappointed you, but nothing to feel bad about, Jeane. We can't all like the same things. I love this book, but I won't try to convince you to try again. I can see why his writing wouldn't work for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read Capote but some of my most disliked books have been titles everyone loves. Oh well. Whatcha gonna do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read a few of his short stories and I liked them (from what I can remember). Reading short stories in general gives me a feeling of wanting more and a lot of times they are very forgettable to me. I have In Cold Blood on my list of books to read soon but I've heard very mixed reviews of it.

    Don't feel bad! I just hope that the next read for you is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I praise and recommend In Cold Blood, I've never had a desire to read any other Truman Capote.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/22/2014

    I do enjoy Truman's writing I must admit.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.