Feb 6, 2021

The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes

and other surprising true stories of zoo vets and their patients 
edited by Lucy Spelman and Ted Mashima

     I like reading about veterinary work. This collection about wildlife vet care is light reading (ie: not the highest writing quality) with brief, intriguing chapters. The twenty-eight stories are each related by a different veterinarian, with a preface by the editor team to each of the five sections they're arranged into. Most, but not all, of the stories have happy endings. In a few the medical mystery presented by an ill animal was never solved. Among them are the titular rhioncerous with chronically sore feet who got a custom set of aluminum shoes, a panda with digestive issues, dung beetles infested with red mites, stranded dolphins, a hippo with an infected tooth, polar bear with a hernia, tiny poison dart frog with an injured eye, a young giraffe that needs a leg brace, elephant injured by a poacher's snare, a malnourished bear cub with weak bones, a goldfish with a tumor and weedy sea dragons that suffered "the bends" after an airline flight from Australia to Florida. I think my favorite though, was the story about a moray eel donated by a bartender to a public aquarium when it outgrew its home tank. The eel hid in the rocks of its new home and refused to eat for weeks on end. The aquarium staff finally called the original owner to ask what might tempt the eel to eat. He came to visit the aquarium and when the eel saw him, it came out of hiding and swam up and down the tank glass in front of the man, finally taking food when he offered it. That story warmed my heart. 

Rating: 3/5                310 pages, 2008

4 comments:

  1. I might have to read this one for that eel story alone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really a touching story- and I related especially well because I keep fish myself, a few of which seem to recognize me.

      Delete
  2. If I had gone into medicine, I think I would have gone the veterinary route. Not that I ever gave it much thought. This sounds like a good collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was little one of my dream jobs was to be a vet. I soon realized I probably wouldn't cut that, but I've always had an interest in books and shows about the profession regardless.

      Delete

Comments are screened due to spam.