Feb 8, 2021

All My Patients Have Tales

Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice 
by Jeff Wells, DVM

     A nice read from a veterinarian who worked in mixed animal practice, first in South Dakota, then in Colorado. Part memoir, mostly stories about the animals he treated, with a broad dash of humor. He tells about going through vet school, first days on the job, attempts to prove his knowledge and skills to the clients, and most of all about the animals in need. Funny or interesting case studies and the outcomes. Similar to James Herriot, if not quite the same quality (sometimes the humor got a tad tedious in my opinion). Most of the stories are about pet dogs and cats, though there are also cattle, potbellied pigs, and even a yak. Note: he doesn't shy away from telling how unpleasant some aspects of the job can be- in particular how much feces and other bodily fluids can get all over the place (quite literally). And while most of the stories have positive outcomes, not all the animals make it. Just a sampling of the stories: a supposed tomcat that surprised its family by having kittens, a puppy that ate too many grasshoppers, horses with injuries on their legs or faces, cows that need help birthing, dogs that repeatedly tackled porcupines, a cat that swallowed a fishhook, a hound that ate rat poison, an elderly cat that became diabetic. There's also an errant bison that escaped its field and needed to be sedated for re-capture before it bred all the neighbor's prized cows. I found that Wells wrote a second book titled All My Patients Kick and Bite, which I think I'd also enjoy. 

Rating: 3/5                    226 pages, 2006

3 comments:

  1. I love the title of this one. It sounds a little like All Creatures Great and Small...I've been watching the remake of that old series every week, and really loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found where I can watch the new series, and am excited to try it! When I was a kid my mother used to watch the original one, and I always had trouble following- I think mostly because of the british accents. I'd hope I could appreciate it better now, but I'm going to try the new rendition first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like one I would enjoy, especially with the humor mixed in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.