Feb 11, 2021

missing migrants

Pomegranate Artpiece puzzle- 1,000 pieces. Nice sturdy jigsaw, though a bit difficult- there's all that blue and the variations between pieces are definite but also very subtle. Honestly I thought at first I wouldn't really like doing this one- it's very abstract with a lot of similar, flat colors. I had to do a lot more looking back and forth between closely at the provided image to figure out where pieces went, than I'm used to. Running my eye over the image so continually, this had an odd visual effect of making it seem like the bird wings were actually flickering, in my mind's eye. Then I read more about the piece online, and suddenly realized its significance. 

In Charley Harper's own words about the artwork, the forty-five birds depicted are among the neotropical migrants that have "shuttled between winter homes in the tropical rainforest and nesting sites in our woodlands. Now their populations are plummeting. Why? Habitat destruction . . . Is your favorite songster in this flock? . . . Are silent springs forthcoming?" It's sobering. I look at them and try to recognize the species (without reading their names and numbers- there's a key on the back of the box to their identities) and think if I know that bird, and did I see it last year, and will I see it the next. . . 
Assembly:

2 comments:

  1. Love the puzzle, but I'll bet it was pretty tough with all that blue in it. It's got a unique style for a puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, and I made it more challenging by trying to do a lot of the background first. Running out of puzzles so I wanted to make it take longer to put this one together, but it got frustrating so then I started on the birds!

      Delete

Comments are screened due to spam.