Jul 28, 2020

cosmopolitan cat

Did another puzzle this past week. 500 pieces but rather challenging, because it's mostly about texture and pattern. I really like being able to see the paint strokes in the cat's fur, contrasted with the flat stripes of the floorboards, and the very busy wallpaper pattern. It's another Springbok one, lots of fun varied shapes in the cut. No idea who the artist of the original picture is. 
I've had this puzzle since I was a teenager, and only assembled it three or four times. I found myself following the same sequence as before- first putting together the floor, then the cat, then last of all the wallpaper. (Click to view larger and scroll through).
When this puzzle was finished I left it sitting out on the table for a while. I like to run my hand over it. (Although it's so old some of the print is actually starting to wear off the puzzle pieces). I said to my youngest: "pet the kitty!" and she laughed: "I already did!" and everyone else in the family had to do it too- the fur texture looks so inviting.

I think I'm going to paint the sheet of plywood that is my puzzle board, before doing another one. I find the darker marks of knots in the wood grain distracting, and adjusting for differences in lighting after I take the photos would be easier if it's a flat white background. (You might notice where I edited out some of the darker marks in the photos with rubber stamp photoshop tool . . . )

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, and I know from experience how time-consuming those things are, especially where there are so few basic colors involved. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really do enjoy them- have another which is an Escher picture, all black and white- that one was almost too much of a challenge, but maybe I'll rework it someday.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.