Jul 28, 2010

Foxes

Animals, animals
by Marc Tyler Nobleman

Another short, fact-packed animal book for kids. On foxes! I love foxes. They're so cool and clever and beautiful. I think part of what intrigues me about them is that they're a canine with many feline traits- the big triangle ears, super-sensitive hearing, vertical pupils. According to this book, one species, the gray fox, can even retract its claws to keep them sharp (it can also climb trees). Foxes describes how the animals live, their physical features, life cycle and distribution of six of the twenty-three different species: red fox, gray fox, arctic fox, fennec fox, kit or swift fox and bat-eared fox. The final little chapter tells how some red foxes have adapted to live in cities. The only thing I would have wished for this book is some better pictures. Most of the photos are really nice, but some of the ones highlighting a species (like the arctic fox, fennec and gray fox) only show the face. When looking at varieties among species I like to see the different body shapes and proportions (but maybe that's just me).

Rating: 3/5 ........ 45 pages, 2007

More opinions at:

4 comments:

  1. I never knew there was a fox that could climb trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that foxes are beautiful and fascinating. This sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning my book!

    Best,
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol- I knew before that they could climb trees, but not about the retractable claws!

    Bermudaonion- It's a nice little book.

    Mr. Nobleman- You're welcome!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.