Jul 5, 2010

How to Speak Dragonese

The Heroic Misadventures of Hiccup the Viking
by Cressida Cowell

In this third story about the young unlikely Viking hero, Hiccup and his friend Fishlegs go astray during a board-the-enemy-ship lesson and find themselves captives in a Roman fortress. Not only that, but they run into an old enemy who has pitted the Hooligans against a neighboring tribe of female Viking warriors in order to distract them while he steals dragons (including mischievous little Toothless) to throw into the gladiator's arena. With the help of a feisty Viking girl from the enemy tribe and an itty-bitty dragon the size of a grasshopper (who thinks he is God of the Universe) Hiccup must escape, stop a feud and save the dragons! The tale is full of crazy incidents an unexpected turns (although only one really took me by surprise). The crude little-boy humor started to get old, though. A lot of the jokes were just repeats from the previous books, and I didn't find this one quite as fun and entertaining.

Rating: 2/5 ......... 225 pages, 2005

More opinions at:
A Fort Made of Books
Flamingnet Young Adult Book Blog

2 comments:

  1. You know, it often happens that series like this just devolve over time. I hate it when it happens, but I sort of expect it. I am sorry to hear that this one wasn't as good as the others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. There are seven or more titles in this series- some of them intriguing to me (like How to Break a Dragon's Heart) but I don't know if I'll continue further.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.