Dec 26, 2020

new e-reader!

This was my big christmas surprise, and I'm absolutely thrilled. My husband bought me a new e-reader, a Kindle Paperwhite. It replaces my old Kindle Fire which died just shy of being ten years old. I was able to transfer nearly all 144 books off my old device onto the new one. (The only book I lost was Beautiful Joe, which isn't a big deal- already read and it wasn't a favorite so not sure if I'll even replace it). 
There are some things I like about the Paperwhite right away. It's very lightweight- so easy to handle, and doesn't make the book I keep it in feel unexpectedly heavy. The screen is slightly smaller and shorter than the old Kindle which disappointed me at first, but then I figured out how to adjust the line spacing, font size and type in the device, so the page read doesn't feel as truncated now. 
I fully charged it yesterday after transferring all the book files, and then spent some time reading on it- got nearly halfway through the next Animorphs book. With my old Kindle, this would have drained a good part of the battery- but the Paperwhite is still at ninety percent. I do believe I could easily read on this for a week before needing to recharge. It also has far more storage space (helped by the fact there are no games or any features not related to reading books, which is what I wanted!) I put my whole e-book library on here, which took up less than a tenth of the storage space. I could fit over a thousand books on this if I wanted to.
Only downside for now, is that my hollowed-out book space is too large for it. For now I've wedged it in with a bit of foam, but eventually I will want to make a new hollow book case. When I find the right book to sacrifice . . . or maybe I will buy a blank one just for that purpose this time. Have to find just the right one, though.
One odd thing, is that when I power the Paperwhite completely off, the screen looks rather bright- as in the first photo. Compared to when it's in sleep mode and shows a picture, as in the last two photos. 

Extra tidbit- when I wrote that previous post about getting the Kindle Fire, I mentioned having approximately six hundred books on my shelves. In the ten years since, I've easily added a thousand more paperbound books to my collection (!)

Well, can you tell I'm excited. I hope your holidays all had some specially happy bookish surprises, as mine did. I'm off to test another nice feature of the Paperwhite now, by seeing how easily I can read in a patch of sunshine (through a window today, but in the future I look forward to reading outside in the garden).

5 comments:

  1. I hope you love your Paperwhite. I loved mine (something heavy was dropped on it and the screen broke--a big unfixable hole). The Fire is nice (and more versatile if you are into other tablet features), but for reading, the Paperwhite is the way to go. In my opinion, anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so far! My kids are no longer interested in the games I had on the Kindle Fire- so it's perfect to have one tailored for just reading.

      Delete
  2. Wooo congrats on the new reader! I love the paperwhite, too.

    Mine is on its last legs. I used to be able to get a whole book out of one battery charge, now I have to charge it at least twice per book.

    I use a Kindle cover/protector like this one. https://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Kindle-Voyage-2nd-Generation-Thinnest-Protective/dp/B07G14XZ9N/ref=sxin_9_ac_d_rm It has a thing built in that puts the Kindle to sleep, so it saves battery charge. Plus it's so thin and feels good to use!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Thistle! How does that work, that the cover puts your device to sleep? Interesting.

      Delete
  3. Yep! Open the cover, it wakes up. Closes, it sleeps. There's a small magnet in the cover, somehow that controls it.

    --Thistle

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.