Dec 11, 2020

cathedral rock, Arizona

504 pieces, made by Encore. Unlike most of my puzzles, this one is scenery. It was included free when I bought the labrador puzzle. It's rather old- or feels so to me. The pieces are very small, very loose and all the same shape. Several times I had a piece in the wrong spot which threw me off. The sky was difficult. It wasn't until the area of putting together dirt and grass that I felt "in the zone" of puzzling. 
At the end I discovered why it was free. Two missing pieces. Bah. So I made a patch- just for the heck of it, as I'm not keeping this one. Thin cardboard, pencil, small sharp scissors, colored pencils and packing tape burnished.
Not precise, but they do blend in. Here in the puzzle, before and after coloring:
I think I did a rather good job, as my husband and kids all had trouble finding the substitute pieces in the finished puzzle. Last time I patched a jigsaw was the row of kittens. This was harder as the pieces are much smaller.
Finally, here's the assembly sequence (click for larger view):

2 comments:

  1. Well done. I'm a puzzler when I can find the time and space to complete them, and I've run into that missing-piece problem quite a few times because I trade puzzles with others or pick them up secondhand when I find them. I've never successfully recreated a missing piece, though, but you give me hope that it's doable even for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes- I am often disappointed to find missing pieces when I acquire puzzles from thrift shops. It's made me hesitant to do so anymore unless the boxes are sealed. The hardest part of making a replacement piece is cutting out the shape!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.