Jan 7, 2011

Real Birth

Women Share Their Stories
by Robin Green

I read this book last time I was pregnant, but I remember it being one of the ones I enjoyed. I like reading about other people's real-life experiences, it's so refreshing after going through instruction-type books that just tell you what to do, to read instead about women who've actually been through it and how they felt about things. Real Birth contains thirty-six stories, and no two are alike. The women are from all different backgrounds and live in varying circumstances: wealthy and poor, urban and rural, first-time moms and those who've been through it before. They have varying viewpoints on birth: some go to the hospital, others have their babies in birthing centers or at home, and yet others find themselves in unexpected places! I appreciated that it wasn't a book full of feel-good stories; some of the women didn't plan on getting pregnant and felt ambivalent about having a baby. Others struggled with complications, cesarean and even stillbirths. But it all felt very honest and real, and the universal theme, the wonder of birth and motherhood, makes it a strong collection.

Rating: 3/5 ........ 227 pages, 2000

anyone else read this book?

2 comments:

  1. I wish I'd known about this book a few months ago...one of my friends recently gave birth for the first time at 38.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good one in the same vein is Pregnancy Stories

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.