Dec 28, 2010

incomplete

It seems very unlikely now that I will actually finish the TBR Challenge this year. And I was so close, having read eleven books (twelve are required)! Unfortunately, the majority of the titles I had in both my original list and my alternates list ended up being books I didn't care for and never finished. (I guess I need to get better at screening books to put on my TBR; although the ones I picked for this challenge I wrote down so long ago I wasn't even keeping track of where I first heard of them yet, so maybe I just wasn't as discriminating to my own reading tastes back then, if that makes sense.) The books I did manage to read were:

Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey
The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
No One Thinks of Greenland by John Griesemer
Endurance by Alfred Lansing
The Moon by Whale Light by Diane Ackerman
An American Childhood by Annie Dillard
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper by Harriet Scott Chessman
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle

Not all of the books I gave up on got abandoned posts written about them; those that did were The Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein, Rules for Old Men Waiting, Beautiful Swimmers and Inkheart. If you're curious what the other titles were, you can refer back to my original challenge list. In all, I finished eleven books and abandoned ten, leaving three yet to cross off my list. Walden I tried to start several times and just got bogged down. I do want to try it again later. Pale Fire I still have on library hold, but don't know if it will show up in time for me to read it in the week that's left! And for some reason my library only has The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint in audio and electronic format, not an actual paper book. So I probably won't be reading that one either. O well.

The good thing about this challenge is that I've actually wiped twenty-one titles off my TBR list!

4 comments:

  1. This was the one challenge I didn't finish this year. I think I got through a little over half. Funny how my TBR list inspires on January 1st, but by July I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say eleven out of twelve counts as finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy- Funny, I'm the opposite. I focused more on other challenges and themes early in the year, but really felt inspired to read a lot off the TBR as the end-of-year approached.

    C.B.- Well, I hope so. I've left it up to Miz B to decide (the challenge host). I really did my best to get through them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eleven out of twelve counts! I am sure challenges have a built-in buffer book. It totally counts.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.