Dec 31, 2009

2010 TBR Challenge


I'm signing up for the 2010 TBR Reading Challenge, hosted by Miz B. The rules are as follows:

* the challenge is to read 12 TBR books in 12 months — you can read those all in one month if you want, or one a month, or however you wanna do it.
* you should have a list posted somewhere for others to see
* you CANNOT change your list after January 1st, of the current year!!!
* you can create an Alternates list of MAXIMUM 12 books, if you want, in order to have options to choose from (you can read these in place of books on your original list).
* audiobooks and e-books ARE allowed
* re-reads are NOT allowed, as they aren’t TRUE “TBRs”
* you CAN overlap with other challenges

Here is my official list of books to read:

Gorillas in the Mist by Dian Fossey
Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Theodore Roszack
The Lady and the Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier
Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario
No One Thinks of Greenland by John Griesemer
Endurance by Alfred Lansing
The Moon by Whalelight by Diane Ackerman
The Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron
Beautiful Swimmers by William Warner
An American Childhood by Annie Dillard
Walden by Henry David Thoreau

And here is my "alternates" list:

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy
The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
The Last of Her Kind by Sigrid Nunez
Split Estate- Charlotte Bacon
Lydia Cassatt Reading the Morning Paper by Harriet Chessman
The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Sweetness in the Belly by Camilla Gibb
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
Rules for Old Men Waiting by Peter Pouncey
Shattering Glass by Gail Giles 
The Tortilla Curtain by T.C. Boyle

I only have ten of these books on my shelf, so this challenge will get me to use the public library a little more, too!

7 comments:

  1. I love this Challenge! The funny thing is that the two years I did it, I found it to be the hardest one to finish. I think it's the "can't change your list" rule that is my sticking point. :-) Good luck!!

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I hope you choose Memoirs of Elizabeth Frankenstein. I read that a long time ago, and I'm curious to see how your thoughts compare to my memories of it.

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this challenge this year. It forced me to read books that I KNEW were good, but due to my fickle heart, might have abandoned otherwise. Structure is my friend! I love your list...you've got many good ones to explore next year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lezlie- Am I ever glad for the "alternates" list, or I would probably never finish challenges like this!

    Sandy- I know. There are so many that get shuffled to the bottom of the pile, or list, and I know they're really really good so I'm glad to "make" myself read them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice list(s) :) I loved Gorillas in the Mist! Good luck with your challenge.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really should do this challenge. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dillard book, on your To Read list is the only one I have read, and I do think you will enjoy it. Oh yes. It is good.
    Happy New Year to you!
    -- Cip

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.