Apr 21, 2010

from the 500 list

In celebration of her 500th post, Jessica put up a list of her 500 favorite books at Both Eyes Book Blog. I've read and loved many of the same, and she wanted to know which ones! So here's a little list of my own. Out of Jessica's 500, I've read 90.

Eighty-two I liked, or loved:

1984 – George Orwell
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn – Mark Twain
Aesop’s Fables
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten – Robert Fulghum
Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl – Anne Frank
Antigone – Sophocles
Autobiography of a Face - Lucy Grealy
The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
Beowulf
Black Beauty – Anna Sewell
Black Like Me - John Howard Griffin
The Bone People – Keri Hulme
Brave New World – Aldous Huxley
Call It Sleep – Henry Roth
The Castle - Franz Kafka
The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens
The Color of Water – James McBride
The Color Purple – Alice Walker
The Crucible – Arthur Miller
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time – Mark Haddon
Dandelion Wine – Ray Bradbury
Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus – Mo Willems
Don Quixote – Miguel de Cervantes
Equus – Peter Shaffer
Fahrenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury
The Fellowship of the Ring – J.R.R. Tolkien
The Feminine Mystique – Betty Friedan
Flowers for Algernon – Daniel Keyes
Frankenstein – Mary Shelley
Griffin and Sabine – Nick Bantock
Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond
The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone – J.K. Rowling
Heidi – Johanna Spyri
The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien
Ivanhoe – Sir Walter Scott
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell – Susanna Clarke
The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe – C.S. Lewis
Lord of the Flies – William Golding
Maus – Art Spiegelman
Moby-Dick – Herman Melville
Never Let Me Go – Kazuo Ishiguro
The Old Man and the Sea – Ernest Hemingway
The Once and Future King – T.H. White
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey
Out of Africa – Isaac Dinesen
The Picture of Dorian Gray – Oscar Wilde
The Poisonwood Bible – Barbara Kingsolver
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man – James Joyce
The Road – Cormac McCarthy
The Scarlet Letter – Nathaniel Hawthorne
Seven Gothic Tales – Isak Dinesen
Siddhartha – Herman Hesse
Silas Marner – George Eliot
Silent Spring – Rachel Carson
Stargirl – Jerry Spinelli
A Tale of Two Cities – Charles Dickens
The Tempest – William Shakespeare
Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston
Things Fall Apart – Chinua Achebe
Through the Looking-Glass – Lewis Carroll
The Time Traveler’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger
To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee
The Tragedy of Puddin’head Wilson – Mark Twain
Tuck Everlasting – Natalie Babbitt
The Velveteen Rabbit – Margery Williams
Watership Down – Richard Adams
Where the Wild Things Are – Maurice Sendak
Wicked – Gregory Maguire
The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
Winnie-the-Pooh – A.A. Milne
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – L. Frank Baum
A Wrinkle in Time – Madeleine L’Engle
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance – Robert M. Persig

Seven I didn't care for as much:

Franny and Zooey – J. D. Salinger
Geek Love – Katherine Dunn
Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
Emma - Jane Austen
The Princess Bride – William Goldman
The Gunslinger – Stephen King
The Joy Luck Club – Amy Tan

Thirteen I tried, and did not finish:

As I Lay Dying – William Faulkner
Catch-22 – Joseph Heller
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Primary Colors – Anonymous
Robinson Crusoe – Daniel Defoe
Snow Falling on Cedars – David Guterson
Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert
A Thousand Acres – Jane Smiley
Henderson the Rain King – Saul Bellow
Dune – Frank Herbert
The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Canterbury Tales – Geoffrey Chaucer
Then We Came to the End – Joshua Ferris

These I've been meaning to read:

The Art of Racing in the Rain – Garth Stein
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas – John Boyne
A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly – Jean-Dominique Bauby
Downtown Owl – Chuck Klosterman
Fight Club – Chuck Palahniuk
Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad
The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
The Magicians – Lev Grossman
My Antonia – Willa Cather
The Monkey Wrench Gang – Edward Abbey
Out Stealing Horses – Per Petterson
Pigs in Heaven - Barbara Kingsolver
Stiff – Mary Roach
The Sun Also Rises – Ernest Hemingway
The Turn of the Screw – Henry James
Walden - Henry David Thoreau

And these I added to my TBR because Jessica introduced me to them:

Animal Liberation – Peter Singer
The Coming Plague – Laurie Garrett
The Female Man – Joanna Russ
The Roaches Have No King – Daniel Evan Weiss
The World Without Us - Alan Weisman

Also, my husband has read half of Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter, which I never would have heard of otherwise.

There you go, Jessica!

10 comments:

  1. Ugh! These lists make me feel like such a schlub...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was fast!

    I have to warn you that The Coming Plague is massive and The World Without Us is REALLY depressing. Though beautiful.

    I listened to the audio versions of My Antonia and Snow Falling Through Cedars. Sometimes that helps.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy N- You sent me to the dictionary. Definitely not a schlub! (I haven't even heard of most of the books on Jessica's list!)

    Jessica- I've never listened to an audio book. Perhaps I ought to try it with one of those DNFs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me just kick in on the audio book thing, if there's ever a book you feel you need to read, but can't get through, try the audio version. It helps, especially if the reader is good. Always make sure the reader is good.

    What a list! I'm not sure I could come up with 500!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 500 favorite books?! That's quite a list!

    I'd probably do a list of 50 SUPREME favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I struggle to name 50 of my favourites! From her list I recommend you try Flowers for Algernon - it is a fantastic book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BlackSheep- How do you figure out who the good readers are? do people rate them somewhere? I think if I got a really annoying voice on my first audio book it would dissuade me from the whole thing!

    Lenore- I don't think I could think of 500 books, myself. Fifty is a good number!

    Jackie- I love Flowers for Algernon! It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine naming 500 favorite books. I think by the time I got towards the bottom of that list, it wouldn't even be favorites anymore. Can I recommend you give Emma another try? I hated it the first time I read it, and now it's possibly my favorite of Austen's books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to go through my journals 1993-2010 and make a "I really really like this" list. Won't come out to 500, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny- Perhaps I should have been more specific on my breakdown of her list- I didn't differentiate between books I liked well, and ones I really loved.

    Bybee- I've made it easy to see which ones I really really like, at least of those I've written on my blog. Just click on the "5/5" rating tag, and you'll see them all!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.