Apr 18, 2008

Primary Colors

A Novel of Politics
by Anonymous

I bought this book for A. a few years ago; he is very into politics. He liked it alright, and wanted me to read it as well so we could discuss. But I couldn't do it. I don't even remember how far I got; no more than a few chapters. It's not that the subject matter bored me, even though I don't have much interest in politics. It was something about the writing style and the fact that I couldn't keep the characters straight. My first impression was that there was an overload of dialog and I failed to get a sense of who the characters were, what they were like, even the setting or train of events. I couldn't keep enough straight to follow the storyline and just quit. I gathered that Primary Colors is mostly about the inside workings of a political campaign. Perhaps I was just in the wrong frame of mind and ought to try it sometimes later. If anyone else has read this book and enjoyed it, I'd be glad to hear your opinion!

Abandoned                  366 pages, 1996

5 comments:

  1. I never read the book, but I did like the movie. :-)

    Lezlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book, but I think maybe it is loosely based off of All the King's Men? At least according to my back cover "The model for 1996's best-selling political novel, Primary Colors." I haven't read ATKM either, but will in the next month.

    Hope you are all settled in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the movie but haven't read the book. From memory, 'anonymous' was revealed to be one of Bill Clinton's advisors and the film certainly seemed to be based on his presidential campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just can't bring myself to read anything by "Anonymous" unless it's Victorian smut novels. Just a little quirk. I would like to see the movie "Primary Colors", though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried to read this novel. I saw the movie and thought it was ok. Im glad you decided it wasn't for you. There are so many books out there and so little time.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.