Mar 1, 2008

cover makeovers

I have a habit of collecting pictures from discarded magazines (especially National Geographics) left over from the days when I wanted to be an illustrator, and was building a scrap file for visual reference. Recently I went through my shelves and pulled out a bunch of books that had no dust jackets:



Then I dug through my scrap file, collected some pictures, and gave these books new faces. It was fun, and they look much nicer now (I think)! I clipped the photos out of dozens and dozens of magazines, so I have no idea who originally took them, but I'm not going to make any profit off them, so I don't figure I'm breaking any copyright law. Any more than decoupageing a lampshade with clippings would be. And if for some reason these books ever left my library, I'd remove the covers I made, first.























8 comments:

  1. Looks like you had fun!! I like cutting pictures out of magazines too-I make little collages to decorate my journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job!!!. They look very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I particularly liked 'Roots'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool! I think I'll show this to my daughter. She would really enjoy this idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eva- I used to do this to journal covers, too.

    Dana- Thanks!

    Cath- I liked the way Roots turned out best, too.

    Petunia- Hope your daughter has fun with it! Don't forget the mylar covers, to protect your work when you're done. (I just take them off ex-library books and recycle them).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous3/04/2008

    What great fun. An idea I should try too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading your blog, Jeane, I am really getting the recurrent idea that you are a lover of animals!
    I know.
    I catch on fast!
    I just finished reading an excellent novel that has a lot of.... animolatry to it!
    It's called Water For Elephants, by Sara Gruen.
    I highly recommend it to you. A wonderful read!
    'Specially for animal lovers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Verbivore- yes, lots of fun. Do give it a try!

    Cipriano- you're right, I do love animals, and read a lot about them. Water For Elephants is on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.