Jan 14, 2010

About the Sleeping Beauty

by P.L. Travers

I always like reading alternate versions of fairy tales, so once years ago I picked this one up from the public library. The little volume About the Sleeping Beauty includes a retelling of Sleeping Beauty by Travers, then an essay examining the fairy tale, and concluding with five different versions from other cultures. More interesting than variants on the fairy tale are Travers' analysis and musings over the heart of the legendary story itself, its underlying meanings and implications. But although I liked reading it at the time, none of the stories really made a strong impression upon me and now I can't recall a single one well enough to give you the details. However, if Sleeping Beauty is one of your favorite fairy tales, I would definitely look this book up!

Rating: 2/5 ........ 112 pages, 1975

2 comments:

  1. Fairy tale re-tellings don't generally appeal to me, so I'll skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd no idea she'd written fairy tale retellings! It's too bad it wasn't better for you, but I'm definitely still curious!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.