Jul 3, 2009

Invincible

by Vince Papale

I feel like this book shouldn't even the mention of a post, because I didn't get very far in it- about twenty five pages, and I wasn't really interested for most of that time. It's a decent book, and fairly well-written, but the subject matter was boring me. I was curious to read about one man's experience playing football simply because my husband loves the sport- but Invincible doesn't have the individual perspective I'm looking for. It is about an individual, and his rise from a poor boy in the projects to a professional football player- but it was just not speaking to me. I felt like I was reading more about who he admired as a child, a litany of names and teams and plays, instead of what it felt like to play, or how he learned to play... Anyway, there's another football book on the shelf here that I might try soon- Paper Lion. I picked it up idly at a library sale, not really knowing what it was about, and when I brought it home my husband yelped in amazement- a noise I often make at surprise finds among book stacks, but Id never heard him utter before. He says this one is the best book ever about football, and it's not about some star player either, just an ordinary guy- but that it's very well written. I have high hopes again. For a football experience in the pages.

Invincible was the last book on my list to read for the Non-Fiction Five challenge, so now I have to pick out another title...

Abandoned                      212 pages, 2006

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, not sure I would have made it through this one either. Hope you can find another one for the NFF that suits you a little better (you're rockin' and rollin' with so much time left!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking through my stacks. I think I'm going to read Seaworthy- another guy who tried to sail across the ocean in the spirit of Kon-Tiki.

    Actually, I think I need to read two more, since my first book for this challenge I read in April- and it was supposed to start in May...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.