Jul 3, 2009

The Edge of Day

by Laurie Lee

Another book I usually wouldn't mention, since I never got totally invested in reading it. But it was for the TBR Challenge, so I feel I ought to say something about it. I've actually had two different copies of The Edge of Day in my library- before we moved across the country I had an old trade paperback copy with a stiff cover. I dipped into it a few times, curious and intrigued by the descriptions from a toddler's perspective in the first few pages, walking through an overgrown garden that was like an infested jungle to him, full of buzzing insects and fears... I never read any more, and it got weeded out when I had to downsize my library for moving. Just a few months ago I found it again, at a discard sale- different binding and cover art, but instantly recognized it as a book I'd once owned and lost- so I couldn't help picking it up again. But these past few days my time spent reading it has been rather dull. The Edge of Day (also published under the title Cider with Rosie) is a quiet, musing kind of book. It describes the author's youth in a small English village, being tended by his many older sisters, going to a one-room schoolhouse... I've liked other books about boyhood experiences (Call It Sleep) or even rural schoolhouses (The Thread That Runs So True) but this one just wasn't grabbing my attention. So again, I'm moving on.

This book was in my list for the TBR Challenge. I've completed eight, given up on two, and have two more to read before I start picking through my alternate stack.

Abandoned                           276 pages, 1959

8 comments:

  1. I there are too many good books out there to read, rather than wasting time on books that you don't love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cider with Rosie is like a national institution here in the UK. Everyone over a certain age has read it, including me. I must admit I adore it and love its gentle descriptions of a time long past. Just as well we don't all like the same things or life would be boring. :-)

    My bookmark arrived this morning - thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you gave it a fair chance, so you were right in giving it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cider with Rosie! I kept seeing this book everywhere in bookshops when I was in London, in the classics section, and I'd never heard of it! I'm still sort of curious to read it - I like small English villages, so I may try it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly- my feelings exactly. Although finding out how many other people loved it under the title Cider with Rosie, I feel like I'm missing something.

    Cath- I had no idea how popular or well-known this book was until looking for other reviews of Edge of Day I discovered its other title online. I'm just a bit sad I didn't fall in love with it like so many other readers.

    Bermudaonion- Yes. I tried a good bit, but it just wasn't working. On to the next book!

    Jenny- It seems everyone else has loved it, so I do think you ought to give it a try. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood, this time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm. I have 'Cider With Rosie,' given me as a gift years ago but never read. I may "dip into it," now that your review and comments have given me a sense of its significance. But I kind of expect my response will be like yours -- at least at this time of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This actually seems kind of interesting to me, but I'm into books like that. I think I'll note it and give it a try, maybe I'll have a different reaction than you, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janet- I'd be interested to see if you feel the same way I did about it.

    Wombat- You certainly should read it. There's a good chance you'll appreciate it more than I did! I'll look out for your opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.