Jun 14, 2009

Clay Walls

by Kim Ronyoung

This novel is about a family of Korean immigrants and their experience in America. It spans several generations, the back cover copy tells me. I was very curious to read it, but after several days of sitting down and becoming bored within a few pages, I just let it go. I probably wouldn't even mention Clay Walls except it was one I had intended to read for the TBR Challenge. I'm trying to pinpoint exactly what it was that felt so dull to me- the flat narrator's voice? the lack of a foreign culture "flavor"? the way the I kept getting told why the main character felt certain ways, from events in her past... all I know is it just wasn't interesting me, which was rather sad. So I'm moving on!

Abandoned                  301 pages, 1986

Since I did not really give this book its due, read a few more blogger opinions:
Narrative and Silent Fury
Duke in Los Angeles 2009

3 comments:

  1. Sorry this didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you didn't like it, I'm still curious about it...although most of the time you & I agree. Is this your copy? Would you consider a giveaway? I'm coming to the US, so postage wouldn't be too horrible. If not, no worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bermudaonion- it's alright. I didn't waste too much time on it, only got about twenty pages in!

    Bybee- Sure, I could do a giveaway. Or better yet, a swap. Have you got a book I might like?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.