Sep 17, 2007

The Drawing of the Three

The Dark Tower II
by Stephen King

I now know the premise of this series: the Dark Tower is the center of all the "universes" King created, and it is under some threat. Roland has to go there and save it. He has to find three people to help him. So in this book, he wanders a desolate beach, threatened by monster lobster creatures that eat half his hand and a toe off, and finds a door standing in the sand. When he opens it, he's inside somebody's head. After he gets that guy to come into his world and help him, they keep walking and find another door, open it and get into someone else's head. The whole book is about Roland collecting his three companions.

The Drawing of the Three could be interesting, but after 120 pages I realized I simply don't care for Stephen King. I don't care for violence and a book about the protagonist being inside the head of a drug addict (and then a schizophrenic, and then somebody else, I didn't get that far). So here's another one I didn't finish.

Abandoned               463 pages, 1987

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/18/2007

    I think I might be with you here. I read The Gunslinger and was intrigued enough to go to the next but I quit The Drawing of the Three part way through as I grew tired of the drug addict. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I'm not the only one! Many people said his fantasy work was great, so I was willing to give it a shot...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.