Mar 27, 2013

One Thousand Chestnut Trees

by Mira Stout

This novel explores the roots of one woman's Korean family. The first part of the book describes her life in New York as daughter of a Korean immigrant and an American father. Then it goes on to tell her mother's and grandmother's stories, respectively, delving into Korean history and culture. Finally the daughter travels to Korea for the first time, to connect with her roots and see the places her family have described to her. The sad thing is that even though I recall finding the book interested when I read it, I can now recall very little about it. The characters were pretty forgettable and the writing quality rather uneven. I think if you're interested in Korean history or the meeting of two cultures, you would still find it a good read, though.

Rating: 2/5 ....... 368 pages, 1998

More opinions:
The Book Coop
In Consideration of Books
Book Around the World

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I want to read this one!!! I want to read it and buy roasted chestnuts from a street vendor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only had roasted chestnuts a few times. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.