May 23, 2020

a small splurge-

I miss the library. My kids do, too. Third-grader is bemoaning the fact that she's read all the books on her shelves and has nothing new (this is true). Well, except the Magic Treehouse series. She tried a few, didn't really care for them. So I put them up on the book swapping site I belong to, and let her pick some titles for herself. Half a dozen on the way now!

Then I decided to support an independent used bookstore, and made an online purchase. I looked for titles by some of my favorite authors that I've been wanting to try (most of which are not available at the library anyway). Did the same on the swapping site. Here's all those:
Discovered a fellow member with very similar taste in reading material. Who was offering two-for-one on the paperbacks. So I also chose a ton of unknowns, just for the heck of it. (I have lots of points on that site to use up). In the mood for juvenile fiction, so ended up with this lot, which came today:
Finally, picked these out for my kid. I might read some of them, too! She just got a new book for her birthday, so has something to read now. A family member gave her a gift card and guess what, she used it to order a book by her favorite author- however it's not out in print until July. Now she has more books while waiting for the one she really wants (seventh in the Upside-Down Magic series).
Of course, I'll always let her borrow age-appropriate books from my shelves, but she's not quite as keen on animal stories as I am . . .

7 comments:

  1. Well done! That's one of the largest book hauls I've seen anyone post on since this whole pandemic mess started. Makes me want to get a good-sized order made for myself. I'm growing ever more tired of reading mostly e-books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they are all mostly small books- kid chapter books I could read in one sitting. But hey, I was pretty happy to open those boxes! I really really miss visiting the Book Thing- didn't go this past year and now I don't know when I will again? and the large library sales I usually go to every summer and fall. When will that come again. . . Meanwhile I do have all my heaping TBR shelves to get through, before I start borrowing from the library onto my e-reader. It's the actual shelf browsing I seem to miss. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better things to splurge on besides books? I hope you both find ones you love in that haul!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thistle- yes, I hope so too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter was telling her friend the other day she doesn't have any more books (which isn't true, but perhaps she meant no more favorite unread books).

    You got quite the haul here! I think it's great that you are supporting your local independent used bookstore. I'm still waiting on books I ordered from our local indie store. They said it would take time because of all the precautions being taken, so I'm trying to be patient. It's easy to get spoiled by Amazon and Barnes and Noble who ship so quickly.

    I hope you enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, I'm so glad you did this! What a great idea. I'm missing the library SO much -- it's definitely the biggest thing I miss from Before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Literary Feline- My kid is already reading one, and enjoying it a lot! She retold the entire first chapter to me during a walk yesterday. It wasn't actually from a local indie store- there isn't one within driving distance for me- but one in a nearby state. Still, I hope I'm helping a bookstore stay afloat.

    Jenny- We're so glad, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.