Apr 26, 2019

People of the Sky

by Clare Bell

Wow, this book. It really had me riveted. Very interesting- it's sci-fi set in a future where the ends of a Native American population had taken the chance to colonize a new planet. They barely survived and generations later were nearly forgotten by the humans left on Earth. The protagonist, a woman from Earth named Kesbe, is descendant of a pueblo group- Hopi, Zuni and Havasupai are mentioned- come together in a final move to preserve some of their heritage. Kesbe learns bits and pieces of it from her grandfather, but forges ahead in her dream to reach the stars as a pilot.

She ends up with a job on one of the new planets flying an archaic, refurbished plane to deliver it to a wealthy collector. Runs into a dangerous thunderstorm and makes an emergency landing on a ledge in a steep canyon- in an uncharted area. She is rescued by an isolated group of people who live on a remote, hidden mesa. They've never been contacted by the outside world- in fact they don't even believe the world exists beyond their canyons. They are just as baffled by Kesbe's differences- mannerisms, speaking patterns, habits etc- as she is by theirs. Strangely- and thrilling at first to Kesbe- these people have a symbiotic relationship with a native animal- a creature something like a dragonfly- which their young people ride in order to hunt, carry water, etc. Kesbe finds the creatures beautiful and fascinating, and wants to learn more about them, and how they enabled the people to survive in their hostile environment. As she shares with them some Native American roots, they find it easy enough to assimilate, but when Kesbe learns the true nature of the people's intimacy with their alien fliers, everything changes.

There is so much going on in this book, and it has such interesting shifts of focus. First you're reading about the details navigating an ancient aircraft, then about riding flying alien beasts (which really reminded me of Anne McCaffrey's dragon/rider relationships), then about customs and legends of a re-imagined pubelo culture, then about women's identity and control of their bodies, then about the power belief systems can wield, and so on. There is a young boy initiate among the natives who befriends Kesbe at the cost of his standing in the tribe- some are very suspicious of her. There's an interesting man on another part of the planet -descendant of Maori and some African tribe- who is re-creating a safari experience on his vast land (he needs the airplane). Some of the most fascinating writing was about how Kesbe adapted her very body- via a drug the people made from a plant- to enhance her senses- especially that of scent- so she could communicate with one of the fliers- it is hard to imagine how a sense we consciously use very little of could carry so much information and messages; I think the author did a remarkable thing here.

I won't say more or I might spoil the story for someone else- it really is full of surprises, daring discovery and horror, later reconciliation and hope. Also some very tender and gentle moments. I want to read it all over again. I have a copy of this one on my e-reader.

Rating: 4/5               345 pages, 1989

more opinions: Snips and Snails and Puppy Dog Tales

8 comments:

  1. Forgot to mention that many parts of the story had a segment told from a native's point of view. Which added a whole other dimension to it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh you read it, YAY! This was one of my favorite books! And Clare Bell is one of my all time favorite authors ever. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    Did you read her Clan of the Cat/People of the Red Tongue series? (I call it Clan of the Cat, author calls it People of the Red Tongue.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You mean the series that starts with Ratha's Creature? Yes- I have every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! Oops, I forgot we had talked about the series in the past. The only other book she wrote that I know about is The Jaguar Princess. It hadn't worked for me at all, but I read it when I was much younger so maybe it might now? I remember it seeming not anything like her other books though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Jaguar Princess was her first published book. I still want to try it out someday, though. You REALLY should read Tomorrow's Sphinx- it's about sentient cheetahs, in a far future when humans have left earth. I love it just as much as Ratha's Creature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. !!! I forgot about Tomorrow's Sphinx! I had looked for it long ago, pre-internet, when it was harder to find books. I don't think I ever found it. I'm going to look for it today!

    Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well good news and bad news. After much searching, I found the "ebook" of Tomorrow's Sphinx online. https://archive.org/details/tomorrowssphinx00bell Then a couple hours to try to remove the DRM so I could convert it into .mobi for Kindle. Turns out that's near impossible to do for library books (why would they be different than ebooks from Amazon or other stores? No idea).

    Failing at that, I opened the book to see how bad it would be to read on my computer... and it turns out it's not an ebook at all. It's photographs of each page, with no way to even make it larger.

    BUT (this story is getting longer than the book itself) once you get beyond the "front matter" stuff, it's actual text which can be resized. So I'm going to try to read it on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Turns out that's near impossible to do for library books (why would they be different than ebooks from Amazon or other stores? No idea)" Maybe because a library intends for you to temporarily borrow it? I've read a few books on my kindle where each page was a facsimile- I could enlarge each as an image separately, but it made reading so clunky- much prefer if it's actual text that can be resized like you said. Regardless, I'm glad you found a way to read it- can't wait to hear what you think. I have a hardbound copy, myself. Found it years and years ago- either at a library discard sale or on swap, don't remember precisely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.