Jul 15, 2018

The Android

Animorphs #10
by K.A. Applegate

Ten was flat for me. And it must just be me- because according to Goodreads, it's a favorite in the series for lots of other fans. It's certainly packed with action, and the storyline moves swiftly- a bit too quick, as I really felt a lack of detail. Note: there are spoilers below, if you haven't read this far in the series.

In a nutshell, the boys morph dogs to sneak into an outdoor concert, and run into an acquaintance of Jake's who seems- weird. They witness a decidedly strange incident that convinces them the guy's not human. Later they morph spiders and flies at an outdoor event to spy on him- and nearly get exposed when Marco-as-spider is eaten by a bird and has to escape by morphing back to human form in mid-air (and mid-bird, which could be gross except it's light on description). Of course someone sees him falling to earth, but it's the very guy they suspected. Who knows exactly what they are, and tells them he's infiltrated the enemy forces but is really on their side. Suspicious, they still have to learn more, so they visit his supposed home- and find another huge underground living space, this one for the alien race- which are androids. The history of this android race and how it fit into the fight against the Yeerks was just- a bit out there for me. Granted, in a kid's series about alien war, I should expect to meet a lot of strange scenarios and invented alien species, but I just couldn't suspend disbelief enough for this one. Even more than the android storyline, was the idea that dogs had absorbed the essence of another, entirely peaceful race of aliens that had gone extinct due to the Yeerks. Yes, the idea here is that aliens turned wolves into dogs. Anyhow, it gives some of the androids a reason to oppose the Yeerks even though complete pacifist mentality is written into their code.

So they need the Animorphs to steal back a special crystal the Yeerks have in a stronghold, which would allow them to control all the computer systems on Earth. Stakes are high and the Animorphs don't have time to prepare. They sneak into the building as roaches and spiders, narrowly avoid being eaten by a rat, and navigate a pitch-black room of tripwires as bats, only to find when they reach the crystal, that they can't carry it out of the room without using another form. So they morph into their 'battle animals' and blast out of there, only to be met by enemy forces with machine guns. This time there's no easy way out- they battle and are all about to die except in a final moment Marco manages to get the crystal into the android's hands, who then rewrites his code so he can fight, and annihilates the Yeerk forces singlehandedly. It's so awful the scene isn't even described because Marco (our narrator) went unconscious after nearly dying. Just mentioned in passing. And the memory of what he's done is so horrific for the android- who can never dull or forget a single memory- that the androids withdraw, vowing not to get involved again.

Traumatized androids. Lots of heavy discussion in this book about the ethics of warfare. No easy answers. Even that didn't make it interesting enough for me; I kind of had to make myself finish the book. The two new animal forms- spider and bat- were introduced and utilized so quickly, I wasn't able to enjoy that aspect of the story. It was all just fast-paced, action-packed and meh for me. Not my kind of read. I'm taking a break from Animorphs for a little while.

Rating: 2/5          170 pages, 1997

more opinions:

4 comments:

  1. You got ahead of me! I had been reading these at work, but now work is INSANELY busy and I don't have a moment to do anything. (You can see how behind I am on even reading blog posts!)

    I need to move the books onto my Kindle, so I can read them at night during my normal reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah- well, don't let me spoil the storylines for you! I took a break for a while, so maybe you'll catch up. I can tell you where they are available online if you want to load onto your kindle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I'm going to hold out for the day that work is less busy, then start reading them again then. I'm approaching 300 books on my Kindle to read, and that's beyond the point of being silly.

    Thanks though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like I caught up to you now.

    I have to side with the fandom on this one -- this was my favorite so far. It still had issues (so many issues) but I like how much more serious things are getting. Other than the many, many plot holes, that is.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.