May 25, 2014

Bread and Jam for Frances

by Russell Hoban

Some of my favorite childhood books are the series about a little badger family. Frances is the main character, a little girl who struggles with things like a new baby in the family, friends who don't want to share, managing her money when she gets an allowance and so on. This book is about being a picky eater (how many parents can relate!)

Frances likes bread and jam. She doesn't like the way her eggs are cooked, or her dinner either so her mom patiently just keeps serving her bread and jam. And then gives it to her for every meal- snacks as well, until Frances realizes she would actually like to eat something else. Your favorite food quickly becomes less appetizing when it's the only thing you eat all day! I thought it very clever how Frances' mom gave the kid exactly what she thought she wanted so that she changed her mind on her own. It's a cute story with lots of funny little rhymes that Frances makes up along the way (my kids do that too, so I find this charming).

Rating: 4/5      48 pages, 1964

3 comments:

  1. I loved this one too -- is it strange that so many of my favourite books from childhood have to do with food? ;) Also loved The Blueberry Pie Elf, Blueberries for Sal, and others like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I remember this book! I liked little Frances. It's the book that taught me that Frances can be a girl's name or a boy's name but it's spelled differently for each.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know it was spelled different for a boy or girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.