Aug 12, 2012

One Moon, Two Cats

by Laura Godwin
illustrated by Yoko Tanaka

I seldom find and read a book so quickly after seeing a review of it online, but this time I did. Something about what Puss Reboots said of this picture book made it sound appealing, so I went and checked it out.

One Moon, Two Cats shows what two different cats are up to at night while their owners sleep. A fluffy white cat lounges on a little girl's bed in a city bedroom; a somewhat sneaky-looking tabby seems to be just waiting for the moment to escape from his boy's room in the country. Both cats stretch and jump out the window, go strolling along high vantage points, sniff about and then chase mice. Even though their environment is different- city streets and grassy countryside lanes- they both delight in the same feline activities. A thunderstorm frightens them home where they curl up to sleep just as the children awake, having no idea what their kitties have been up to. The text is simply, brief phrases that rhyme nicely. The acrylic paintings have a lovely soft texture, and the cats' faces are really expressive with their knowing eyes. I liked it.

rating: 3/5 ........ 32 pages, 2011

3 comments:

  1. I love the cover on this one! We went to the library the other day for the first time and I left really overwhelmed. Think that maybe I just need to go alone and bring the books home. But there's just SO many--how do you even know where to start?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question- how do you choose? Well, sometimes I seek out good-looking pictures books other bloggers have recommended. Or look for books I remember fondly from my own childhood. Or just stand in front of a shelf, pull out whatever catches my eye, page through it, and make a judgement call. Or wait and see what she brings me. Ha, I guess that's really no answer at all. She doesn't sit through anything long enough yet, so picture books are just for my anticipation. We're really still on very simple board books, for her limited focus right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention! Now a days I leave most of the picture choosing to my daughter. This one was one of her choices. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.