Jan 3, 2017

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

by Dana Simpson

Phoebe is a fairly ordinary fourth-grader. She wants to impress her friends, but the popular girls think she's weird. Skipping stones one day she accidentally hits a unicorn (who is captivated by the beauty of her own reflection) and is granted a wish. She cleverly wishes for endless wishes, but that isn't allowed, so instead she wishes the unicorn will be her best friend. Marigold Heavenly Nostrils is reluctant at first, but gradually the two become close companions. They have a lot to learn about each other- Phoebe's ideas about unicorn magic are often mistaken, and Marigold finds humans baffling. The unicorn is really conceited yet honest and kind as well. They make an amusing pair.

It did remind me a lot of Calvin and Hobbes, and the occasional snarkiness cast my mind to Ariel as well. And delightfully, Peter S. Beagle himself wrote the introduction. For an easy, light read it has a lot of thoughtful moments, and made me laugh.

It's a daily comic online, but I prefer to read the printed version. Happily, my library has three more volumes of the Heavenly Nostrils Chronicles, so I have a few on hold now...

more opinions:
Things Mean a Lot
Waking Brain Cells
The Joy of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are screened due to spam.