Oct 15, 2016

Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk

by David Sedaris

I didn't like this book much. And it's not just because I had forgotten how crude Sedaris can be. Despite it's small, compact size and the cute cover illustration, these stories are not for children. It's a bunch of short stories, 'modern fables' Sedaris wrote, with animal characters that act and talk a lot like people. They're dark. Unpleasant, wry and snarky. I didn't laugh out loud once. Several times I was left scratching my head- expecting just a bit more to wrap up a tale. Especially the last one about the hippo and the owl- I really wanted to know what that exploring gerbil found. The story about the lamb and the crow was disturbing, the one about a mouse with a pet snake overly predictable, the storks arguing about what nonsense to tell their children about where babies come from, kinda lame. There's a dying rat in a lab, an Irish setter dog whose mate wonders if he's cheating when his owners take him to be bred to other females, a brutal rabbit who wants to safeguard his part of the forest with a ridiculous gate. Makes his point well. It was mildly amusing in an uncomfortable way, but I probably won't read this book again. The animals act too much like dissatisfied people, and too many of the stories leave me hanging.

Rating: 2/5       159 pages, 2010

more opinions:
She Treads Softly
Boston Bibliophile
a good stopping point
Bermudaonion's Weblog

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, this one didn't work for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally like Sedaris though I haven;t read this one. too bad it didn't go well. I hope you are on to something better!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Well, I kinda get it now- very belated to realize. Having the animals act like people, just to show us how ridiculous our behavior can be. At the time it really went over my head!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.