Feb 2, 2013

Kipper's Book of Weather

by Mick Inkpen

Another simple, yet effective board book. Kipper's Weather simply depicts and names different weather patterns and shows the cute puppy doing appropriate activities for each. Basking in sunshine, splashing in rain puddles, sliding on ice, rolling snowballs, etc. My favorite pictures are the ones where he's peering through obscuring fog, or holding a metal trash can lid over his head to ward off hailstones. And my daughter likes the pretty rainbow at the end, which spans two pages. I always make little sounds to illustrate each activity or bit of weather- splash for the rain, plink plink for the hailstones, brrrr in the snow and so on. Recently my little girl has begun pointing out and naming the weather in its true context as well, she says " 'nowing" for the snow and "rain" very distinctly. I think she would name a rainbow as well, she says the word for the page in the book but we haven't seen one in real life for a very long time!

Rating: 3/5 ........ 16 pages, 1994

1 comment:

  1. I think my son would have liked this one - he was always fascinated with the weather.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.