Feb 15, 2013

Hiero's Journey

by Sterling Lanier

This is another book I read long ago, and wish I could find another copy now. I don't know what happened to the old mass-market paperback I used to have. It's a post-apocalyptic adventure story; in a future America where nearly everything has been destroyed, the population has dwindled, and there are mutated mostrous animals (and people) everywhere. (Something like Ariel, methinks). The hero is both a religious priest and a explorer. He has telepathic powers and uses them to communicate with the moose he rides on, and his black bear companion. I thought the idea of a moose for a mount fantastic! So they all go off on a quest into the wilderness to find some needed technology. I don't remember if they ever found it, just the plethora of wild adventures, imaginary creatures, battles (both physical and mental- with the telepathy) and if I remember rightly there was a girl in there somewhere, too. The characters of the animals stand out to me, I don't remember much about the aspect of him being a priest, though.

There's a sequel called The Unforsaken Hiero which looks so familiar I feel sure I used to have a copy of that, as well. But I don't think I ever read it. Now I wish I had. It looks good, too. Anyone read either of these?

Rating: 3/5 ......... ? pages, 1973

more opinions:
Reading Science Fiction
Olman's Fifty
Raven Crowking's Nest
Nathan Shumate
Grognardia

2 comments:

  1. Oo, interesting! I love the books that nobody has heard of that one read long ago. It just always reminds me of how many books there are out there that I'm never going to hear about. (Which, alas, but yay when I hear about one of them. :p)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay if you can find and read it someday, too!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.