Sep 12, 2010

Beeing

Life, Motherhood and 180,000 Honeybees
 by Roseanne Daryle Thomas

I've been a little curious about the art of beekeeping lately, so this title caught my eye on the library shelf. I've got several other books about bees on my TBR list, as well. I think this one was a good start with the subject. It's a personal narrative of one woman's foray into beekeeping, after a painful divorce. She doesn't linger over her personal struggles, other than to show how the involvement with bees, the peace and focus this new endeavor brings her, settles some of the upheaval in her life. Most of it is about the bees, learning how to care for them, making mistakes, sourcing the local Bee Master for help, etc. There's also a love of the land, observations of nature, little tidbits on apian behavior, some quirky neighbors in her new town, and a beautiful ongoing portrait of her seven-year-old daughter, eager to dive into the newness of beekeeping alongside her mom. The writing is really engaging, so I breezed through this book in just a few days. It had my full attention.

I just found a site here which has the most amazing photograhps of honeybees, and the captions alone teach you a lot about them. Go take a look!

Rating: 3/5 ........ 228 pages, 2002

More opinions at:
A Gardener's Notebook
WHOSYERGURL
anyone else?

6 comments:

  1. My grandmother kept bees and my mother grew up helping with them, so I bet my mother would love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds wonderful and the photo website is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been really curious about beekeeping, so this book sounds like something I would like. Thanks for spotlighting this. It sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you keep reading books about bees: I really want to read one this year, but I can't choose between a few that look good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am baffled and impressed by people who keep bees. I am petrified of them, and as well I do not care for honey, so I would reap no rewards from beekeeping. But I remember the former chancellor of my university kept bees--I went to his house once for a scholarship dinner thing, and his wife took everyone out back to show them. But not me. I stayed put and ate strawberries. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9/13/2010

    Bee-keeping has never really fascinated me, but this does sound like a very nice memoir.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.