May 30, 2010

The Wild Trees

by Richard Preston

Very interesting book about incredibly tall trees. The Wild Trees swings around people passionate about climbing trees- finding the tallest ones alive, measuring them, exploring them and documenting the life within their branches. Mostly coastal redwoods but also douglas firs and the mountain ash (in Australia). It starts out with a handful of college kids climbing redwoods in a national park just to see what it's like, and then unfolds in novelistic fashion telling the story of several canopy scientists: their original interests in trees, how they met up, taught each other skills and collaborated to find and study the very tallest of the tall, hidden in unexplored pockets of old growth forest. Along the way there's tons of information about the trees, their history, how they grow, etc. These men who climb were the first to discover that redwood canopies hold an ecosystem within their own branches, soil held in pockets that support plants and animal life. Not to mention the myriad different kinds of lichens, which pull nutrients out of the air to feed themselves and the trees. I could go on, but I'll let you read and discover it for yourself. Fascinating! I would have wished for a bit more description and less about the climber's personal lives, but that's a minor complaint. The trees are just amazing. They're the largest living organism on earth (aside from a huge underground fungus I just learned about, which covers several square miles!)

I read this book thanks to two recommendations: a review on Maggie Reads, and my mother told me about it after she read it during a trip to see the redwoods in California. I borrowed a copy from the public library.

Rating: 3/5 ........ 294 pages, 2007

More opinions at:
Bookwyrme's Lair
Nina's Reading Blog
I'll Never Forget the Day I Read a Book!
Old Smiley
The Book Banter Blog

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! This sounds really cool Jeane. Redwoods have always fascinated me..I'll be adding this one to my Paperback Swap list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can find a copy! I'm looking for one to keep on my shelf now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/04/2010

    It's a great book. Hope it becomes a classic. Sure would have been nice if there were photos inside.

    The Grove of Titans redwoods can be found in the pages and albums at this site:

    Largest and Tallest Redwoods

    There is a lot of general redwood stuff too.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.