May 3, 2010

life gets in the way

of reading sometimes. Right now I'm in the middle of this project to reface my kitchen cabinets- that means scrubbing, removing old hardware, priming, painting (three coats to cover that blue!) and putting on new hardware. So they will go from this ugly scuffed blue with old brass hinges and knobs to nice clean white with shiny nickle fittings. But it just feels like it's taking forever. I have to set aside blocks of time to paint in, and put everything away afterwards so cat/kids don't get into the stuff. Hence less reading (posting or commenting) time. I haven't even got through more than twenty pages of Safina, and his book is so fascinating, and beautifully written, too! -sigh- O well, soon enough we'll have decent-looking cupboards and a tidy kitchen again.

Here's one set halfway done.

13 comments:

  1. Good luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great so far! And well done you for having a go at DIY, I'm a catastrophe at anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/03/2010

    Good luck. That's one of the projects on my list for the summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That makes a huge difference! It will be worth all of the trouble once you have it completed. That is the trouble with life - it does get in the way of reading and blogging! This is the story of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kind of like the half and half from a distance. ;-) A project like that is time consuming. You'll be so relieved when you can done. And then you'll definitely deserve several days of reading and only reading. Wouldn't that be nice if life could work that way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, life does gets in the way of reading! Good luck with your project. It's looking good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look beautiful already Jeane!! Don't you hate how all that other stuff gets in the way of reading ;) But alas, it has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did the same project late last year! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks great, but it must be a lot of work.

    Thanks for the review of Suburban Safari. It looks quite interesting and I'm going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bermudaonion- Thanks!

    Jenny- Well, I've done disasters on a few other DIY, so I'm taking my sweet time with this one. Rushing it will only bring mistakes!

    Carolsnotebook- I have such a long list of fix-it-ups to do on the house....

    Sandy Nawrot- I'm glad you can see so already! This is only one-eighth of all the cabinetry I have to do- we really have a lot of cupboards in here.

    Literary Feline- I know! When I'm done I will sign with relief, and then a few days later hubby will find another project for me to do. He wants me to refinish the laminate countertops next- that sounds even more daunting!

    Melody- Thanks! Maybe I'll put up another picture when I'm done so you can all see how nice and sparkly it looks.

    Chris, Chandra, Janet- Thanks!!

    BlackSheep- I do think you'll enjoy Suburban Safari. I'll keep and eye open for your post on it! It's a fun and very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks great! Good luck, sounds like a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm about halfway done now! Hopefully it will be finished by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.