May 12, 2010

library stacks

Greedy eyes, during my most recent trip to the public library. I really just stopped in to drop off Voyage of the Turtle, as someone else was waiting for it (I couldn't renew, and it was a few days overdue). But of course daughter insisted on looking for books to bring home, and I started wandering the stacks. They've been rearranged a bit, since our library got remodeled a few weeks ago. I had to look up the call numbers of my favorite sections (pets and mammals, ha!) then I know which corner to go around to find them. At first I just grabbed Dewey, the book about the library cat, because I've heard so much about it. Then I kept seeing other books that looked good too, and brought this haul home:

Besides Dewey, there's another book on sea turtles, one on African predators, one about the origins of unicorn myths, and books about birdwatching, someone's amazing dog, kangaroos, and researchers who climb trees (my mom told me about this one). Now if I can only find time to read them all!

I'm pleased that my kid, although she's just barely beginning to read a few words, can already navigate the children's section by herself. She knows where to find her favorite books: curious george, max and ruby, mr. putter and tabby, anything by Mo Willems, etc. When she can't find a book she wants, she doesn't want my help, she wants to ask the children's librarian herself! Who knows her by name, as we go to the storytimes nearly every week. She also likes to help "beep the books" at the automated checkout station, and push the right buttons to get me a receipt. This all makes me very happy, in a silly kind of way. I remember knowing where my favorite stories were shelves, before I could read the titles, and being thrilled that "the library lady" knew my name, when I was little. I'm glad my daughter is having the same experiences, too.

11 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that your daughter is enjoying the library so much! I always chafed at the bit a little as a kid, when my mother would leave us in the kids' section to go look at her books. I would always think there were marvelous books in the other parts of the library, and here I was stuck in the children's section. But the library was still one of my favorite places - they're demolishing that branch soon, and rebuilding, and I'll be crushed to see it go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh - the one on the origins of unicorn myths sounds so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny- yesterday was really the first day I left her in the kid's section by herself, instead of dragging her along to "look at mommy books" first. I think she rather liked little bit of independence!

    Nymeth- I've read one like it, but ages ago. I'm really curious to see what's in that book! Too bad it doesn't seem to have any pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like your daughter is a chip off the old block!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as books are concerned, yes, that's true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your daughter sounds wonderful! What a great experience to give her. I really enjoyed Dewey. I need to read more non-fiction. I have been on a fiction kick for too long!
    Great site! A lot of recommendations to look through!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The great thing about the library is that you can "overshop" but the worst thing that happens is that you have to bring it back unread. I love the library. (And I love Dewey. That book made me a blubbering mess.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the automated checkout station, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! Nothing wrong with having greedy eyes at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The library is such a magical place! So nice that you're sharing this with your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeane- hi my name-sharer! I have Dewey in my hands right now. I'm the opposite of you; I've been on a non-fiction kick for a long time, need to get back into wonderful fiction again soon!

    Sandy- That's so true. And I can always go pick them up again, if I can't read them this time!

    Bybee- it used to annoy me that even libraries have automated checkouts now, but I've come to rather like it, especially in libraries where there are lines.

    Stefanie- no, not at all!

    Chandra- I can't help it. I go, so she goes, ha ha. But really, I love sharing the love of reading with her.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.