May 14, 2008

Jackdaws

by Ken Follett

This fast-paced, suspenseful war novel was recommended to me by my father. It's one I probably wouldn't have picked up on my own. Based on true events, Jackdaws tells the story of a group of secret agents who went into France near the end of WWII. Their mission was to take out the main telephone exchange, in order to disrupt German communications. The team was made entirely of women. Warfare, code-breaking and secret spies are not usually among my reading subjects, but this book was one I could not put down. I was immediately caught up in the suspense and twists of plot, wanting to know what happened next, if the characters would achieve their aim, and survive to tell about it. I pass on the recommendation: this book is a darn good read.

Rating: 3/5               451 pages, 2001

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/14/2008

    I don't think of myself as a war novel buff either, but once in awhile a gripping one comes along. I love Michael Shaara's 'The Killer Angels.' This one sounds intriguing too.

    I tagged you for a meme today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy Follett's books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some of Follett's other books - not this one - and have enjoyed them a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with this author, but it definitely sounds like an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read Pillars of the Earth, but I really enjoyed it. I've often wondered about his other books. I have World Without End on my shelf, but I'm avoiding it for now--haven't heard the best of things. Thanks for the review on this one.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.