Sep 20, 2019

A Useful Dog

by Donald McCaig

This is a tiny little book, the first thing that surprised me about it. It's a collection of writings about sheepdogs- mainly border collies the author keeps and works with in Virginia but there's also one part about large white guardian dogs helping to move huge flocks in Montana. Most of the pieces- a few pages each- are about personal experiences with the dogs and the sheep, at home bringing lambs in from bad weather, facing down wily ewes, or working sheepdog trials. I liked all that. I found it interesting and thoughtful. But at least half the book diverges to talk about dog breeding, how shows have changed the animals, how they might have evolved in the first place and what DNA studies have taught us about dog origins. Which I've read about in much greater detail in other books, so I rather would have preferred more personal stories by McCaig about his own dogs. Oh well. It does make me remember that another of the author's books Eminent Dogs, Dangerous Men has long been on my TBR list and I will probably like that one better.

Borrowed from the public library.

Rating: 3/5              80 pages, 2004

2 comments:

  1. We had shelties for years and years (not sure if they are the same as border collies or not, but similar I would think) and I remember looking out the window to the backyard several different times and watching one of them "herd" my daughters and their friends around the backyard. They were all three or four years old at the time and never realized they were being pushed into one corner or another by the protective dog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. I've seen stories before, of herding dogs guiding the children or ducklings around the yard! That's a very good, subtle dog at work, if the kids didn't even notice the herder was gently pushing them to one area.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.