Nov 3, 2017

new books!

My box came from Powell's today, and a few other packages, results of birthday spending. As you can see, most of it is Gerald Durrell: I can't wait to read. Two are sequels to books that have long been favorites of mine: Ariel and Paddle to the Amazon. There's also an illustrated edition of All Quiet on the Western Front which I have wanted to own for a very long time. I think I first found this particular edition at a public library. Alongside the text it has actual photographs from WWI, which really helped bring the narrative to life for me.

I like Powell's because: they are a used bookstore that isn't amzn. Their used books are in good condition and they ship them securely- mine always come shrink-wrapped to a cardboard sheet on the bottom of the box, so nothing slides around and gets banged up. The price labels have low-tack glue, so they peel off easy without ripping the cover or leaving sticky residue. Small things, but they make a difference!
And because Bermudaonion asked, here's a little bit about The Book Thing. It's a place in Baltimore, MD. I found out about it when I lived there- years ago when we first moved to the east coast. Their mission is "to put unwanted books into the hands of those who want them." The story I heard is the founder is a bartender. It was known he liked books, so people kept giving him books. He noticed that college kids struggled to pay for textbooks, so he started collecting texts to give away to students. The donations increased to where at one point he was giving away books from a van. Then eventually got more space- the property has three rooms full of bookshelves (organized by subject) and a large area where donations are processed. As far as I understand it, a very small percentage of books and CDs they receive are sold to pay for the minimal overhead cost. All the people who work there sorting and shelving books are volunteers. There are some articles on their website that have more detail.

I love the place. I don't go very often any more because I now live further away, and when we do we are always sure to donate some books- it's only fair. The only condition to picking up free books is: you can't resell them. They are all stamped "NOT FOR RESALE This is a Free Book" on the inside cover or first page.

When we went a few weeks ago, it was the first time I'd taken my kids. My youngest was excited to go to "the book store where you don't have to pay for anything" as she kept saying. My older daughter laughed when we finally turned around the corner on Vineyard Lane and saw the sign painted across the top of the building: "It's really called The Book Thing?" All this time she'd assumed I called it that because I couldn't remember the name of the place! The parking has improved since I was last there, and the rooms are nicely painted and cleaned up. I like there's a window through the wall from one room to another. There used to be a page on their site featuring odd things found in books, or strange, obscure titles. I miss that, it was kinda funny.

5 comments:

  1. What a fun package! It sounds like Powell's knows what their doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, The Book Thing sounds like the dearest place ever. And YES, I ardently second your fondness for Powell's. One of these days I'll get there in person, but in the meantime, I love ordering stuff from them online. I've always gotten my used books in excellent shape, except for once -- and on that occasion, they exchanged it for me straight away with no problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah. I'd like to go in person someday too. Never have. One time a very nice hardback I ordered from them, turned out to have the last few pages missing. I didn't realize it until I read the book, months later. I emailed about it and they promptly sent me a replacement copy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many years ago now, I made a pilgrimage to Powell's in Portland where I had a wonderful time and spent a great deal of money. It was worth it. I keep hearing about Book Thing, so much that I may need to make another pilgrimage to Baltimore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Book Thing is well worth the trip. I hope to go at least once a year... Someday I will visit the actual Powell's brick-and-mortar!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.