Sep 29, 2014

Shakespeare Wrote for Money

by Nick Hornby

Bah, another disappointment. I recall really liking Nick Hornby back when I read The Polysyllabic Spree and Housekeeping vs. the Dirt practically back-to-back in my eagerness. This one, not so much. In fact, halfway through I started skimming. Skipped ahead to the part where he talks about The Road (since I've read that one) and the rest just couldn't hold me. Is it because I haven't heard of most of the books he mentioned, and only read the one? Or because he seems to talk more about the contents, and less about the reading experience. It's hard to be interested in a rambling discussion of something I'm unfamiliar with. I wonder now if I went back to the two previous collections, would I find them as delightful as the first time around?

Also this is the kind of book I really ought to hold onto, in case I might actually like it another time around. Only this was a third try- I already gave it a go a few times before. Bummer.

Abandoned      131 pages, 2008

more opinions:
Things Mean a Lot
Ready When You Are, CB

2 comments:

  1. Aw, too bad. I've never tried his work but I've heard a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still hoping I like the first two when I go back to them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.