Sep 21, 2013

Rosie's Walk

by Pat Hutchins

I have been enjoying reading to my kids books that my own mother read to me as a child. And I'm visiting many of them a second time around, as my youngest is now old enough to appreciate regular picture books. One of those on our shelf is Rosie's Walk, an old favorite. It's a simple picture book about a hen taking a walk through a farmyard. She's followed unawares by a sneaky fox. Every time the fox tries to pounce on the hen, he gets thwarted by one mishap or another: falls into the pond, trips on a rake, gets tangled in a rope, stumbles into a wagon, and so on. There are very few words (a nice emphasis on position or directionals: over, under, around, through, etc.) but the pictures are rich with texture and the chain of events is easy for young readers to follow. Will Rosie get home safe from the fox? Of course!

My daughter's favorite page is when the beehives fall over and the fox gets chased away by the bees. I always add a buzzing noise and sometimes a circling finger into a little giggly tummy.

Rating: 4/5 ........ 32 pages, 1968

more opinions:
Story Snug
goodnight moon, goodnight blog

2 comments:

  1. I love this book. As a lecturer in children's literature who has a consuming interest in the way the plot of a story is expressed the pictures here are simply brilliant moving the story from an episodic narrative to a a tale of high suspense. Every child I know gets a copy of this along with Eric Carle's 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a perfectly laid out, simple visual narrative, isn't it? I do love the very hungry caterpillar, too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.