Jul 25, 2013

Tales of Wonder

by Jane Yolen

Jane Yolen's collection of short stories draws on traditional folk tales, legends, myths and fairy tales to make something new. The stories all feel familiar, but with different characters, unexpected turns and fabulously original interpretations. If I remember rightly, they're not really kid's stories but have dark undertones and are probably more geared towards adult readers. Once again, this is a book I'm making a note of mostly to remind myself that I'd like to read it again someday if I can ever find it. I believe the book is out of print. Have any of you read it?

Rating: 3/5 ........ 275 pages, 1983

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I've been looking for this one too! I can't remember if I read it long ago, the title sounds familiar, or if it's been one I've been trying to find for many years now. I do enjoy her short stories so much, so I expect it's one I've been trying to find. It made an impression on you. Do you find that you are wanting to go back and read books you read 20 or 30 years ago, again now? I do. I'm not sure if it's to just revisit them and see if I still like them, or if it's because it's time to reread them again and enjoy them. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it rang a bell with someone! I don't think I'll make an effort to search this one out, but if I just happen to come across it I do want to read it again and see what I think. I actually don't recall much of the stories themselves, and think I would enjoy them just as much again now.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.