Jul 8, 2013

Longing For Darkness

Kamante's Tales from Out of Africa
compiled by Peter Beard and Isak Dinesen

This is one of those books I read once long ago and dearly wish I could get my hands on again someday. I don't even recall now how or where I found it, must of been in a library or I think I would still have a copy. One of my very favorite books is Out of Africa, Isak Dinesen's tale of its lands and people during a bygone era. The richness of that text comes alive in a new way in Longing For Darkness, where we experience a different view of it all. Kamante was Dinesen's major-domo, a native African who helped run her household and mainly worked as her cook. He had his own collection of stories; many of them are included in this volume, in his own words. Some are familiar Dinesen tales told in a new voice, others are Kamante's own animal fables, and a few tales from his family history. There are also photographs and many delightful drawings and watercolors by Kamante himself. It's a book to treasure and one I will certainly snatch up if I ever spot it on a shelf again.

Rating: 4/5 ....... 264 pages, 1991

1 comment:

Comments are screened due to spam.