Jul 28, 2011

The Honey Trail

by Grace Pundyk

Not sure why, but this book is just not holding my attention. It has quite a different focus than the other books about bees I've been reading lately, although it does touch some on the history and husbandry of honeybees. Mostly though, The Honey Trail is a kind of travelogue and cultural examination of the production of honey. In it, the author visits different countries to see their beekeeping practices up close, taste a myriad varieties of local honey, and learn what part honey plays in each distinct culture. For example, in Yemen supposedly the profits of honey are tied into terrorism, although after reading the chapter on it I was still confused and didn't really understand why. I made it halfway through the second chapter, about honey in Australia, before realizing that my mind was wandering wildly. It's an interesting enough book, but just not friendly or descriptive enough to keep me reading at the moment.

The other countries she visits in pursuit of honey are New Zealand, Borneo, Russia, Italy, the UK , Turkey, China and the United States.

Abandoned ......... 337 pages, 2008

3 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with this one. I really wanted to like it, but I ended up quitting pretty early on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's unfortunate so many readers have found this one to be sub-par. I have it on my to-read list, but I've now heard/read from several readers that it might not be worth my time.

    As for really good books with bees in: Have you read "A Country Year" or "A Book of Bees and How to Keep them", both by naturalist and essayist Sue Hubbell? "A Country Year" is on my list of absolute favorites, from any genre, and helped catalyzed a significant inner renaissance for me around 20 years ago when I first read it. It's enchanting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of Sue Hubbell and just started reading A Country Year. It's really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.