Apr 2, 2010

Indoor Bonsai

by Paul Lesniewicz

Another book about bonsai. I liked this one because it focuses on plants that make good bonsai to be kept indoors, whereas they're more commonly kept outside. I always did want some for in the house, not just brought in for display. Indoor Bonsai has a photo gallery of indoor houseplants that can be trained as bonsai. There are instructions basic care, design, when to wire or prune (or both), how to cure common pests and diseases, and how to grow plants from seed or cuttings. I'm interested in trying to make bonsai out of a schefflera or jade plant (crassula), and for the first time in this book found reference (but no picture) of geraniums being grown as bonsai, so I no longer feel odd about having one! It also answered one of my long-standing questions about houseplants: the white crud that forms on the top of the soil and around inside rim of my pots? It's from the water being too hard. Soften the water by boiling first, or collect rainwater, and this should go away, the book tells me. So I'm trying that now.

Rating: 3/5 ........ 208 pages, 1985

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, maybe I should look into bonsai. Are they easy to maintain? (I know nothing about them.) I practically kill every plant I touch, but I could really use some greenery in my house. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first thought when I read this was, "Oh, I should get this book because I've always wanted to get a bonsai and if it tells me which plants I can use indoors, that's great!" Then, I remembered that the new kitty is responsible for every living and silk plant now residing way up on top of a display cabinet because she chews on them. Sigh. Maybe when Fiona's a bit older. Today, I caught her chewing on my paintbrushes and had a fit -- not because they're good paintbrushes but because I used to paint with oil and the chemicals are so nasty.

    Am I prattling? Thanks for the review. I'll shush, now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy- So far, I think they're not too difficult. They do need careful, everyday watering. The trickiest part for me so far is knowing when/how to prune and make a nice shape, but I've only had it for a year!

    Bookfool- I used to have a lovely lily plant and had to get rid of it because my cat liked to chew on the leaves, which are toxic!

    Have you tried getting her some potted cat grass or herbs? (oddly, my cats ignore planted, growing catnip but love the dried leaves!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.