Jun 14, 2008

Never Change

by Elizabeth Berg

At the time I read it, I did enjoy this book. But looking back, I find many of the incidents unbelievable, and the novel as a whole pretty forgettable. Never Change is about a nurse who does in-home care. She leads a quiet, uneventful life. Then she runs into a patient she had a crush on in high school. Back then, he was the popular jock. She was quiet, shy, the girl who never went to the prom. Now he's dying of cancer and she not only takes him on as a patient, but brings him to live in her house, and tries to make his last days comfortable while blossoming in his attention. I think she tried too hard to make him happy: the worst moment in the novel was when she brought his old girlfriend to visit, and then listened to their intimate moments through the bedroom wall! The book wound to a predictable ending. Love, death, lessons learned. Fans of this author mentioned in other reviews that this wasn't one of her better books, so I tried a few other titles. But I could not get into them at all.

Rating: 2/5                214 pages, 2001

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like the main character is a little too desperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Talk Before Sleep last year and have had no desire to pick up another Elizabeth Berg book. Is there a better one you would recommend?? She seems to be pretty prolific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never Change is the first and last book I've read by this author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha--I somehow missed that last line of your review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.