Jul 6, 2019

Coping with Gender Dysphoria

by Ellen McGrody

I have to admit, I find the many various ways in which non-binary persons identify themselves and the use of pronouns other than he/him and she/her, plus the discovery of new terms I never heard of before, sometimes confusing. So I decided to read about it, starting with this book found browsing at the public library. It's rather basic, aimed at teens, and I think covers all important points leading to further reading. The book starts by identifying what all those different terms mean (including, yes, a few I hadn't heard of before- such as demigirl), the difference between gender identity and sexuality, the importance of individuals in presenting as the gender they identify with- whether that be via their clothing and hairstyle, change of name, selective pronouns, etc. Everyone's unique, and will feel a different need to feel comfortable with their body and self. The emotional and psychological distress caused by a person's inner identity not matching their physical body is (as far as I understand it) the dysphoria. Not every non-binary person feels dysphoria. Some are so distressed by it, their mental health is seriously affected. The book details how to find help and support, starting with family and friends, community groups and health care providers.

I really learned more than I expected to, here- in spite of how short the book is. I didn't know what the term clocked meant, outside of a boxing ring, for example. I didn't know about the incident at Stonewall Inn in New York, 1969- which is now commemorated each year with Pride events in June. I'm struggling a bit to recognize what microagressions are (another new term for me). I appreciate the book points out that non-binary people are not anything new. Many cultures have long recognized them: in India they are identified as third gender, in Samoa non-gender conforming people are called fa'afafine and in some Native American cultures they are referred to as two-spirit (and there's even a photo of one such individual, an assigned male in female Zuni dress). I'm sure there's more, but the book only mentioned these. I'm learning.

One very nice thing about this book: it's full of lovely photographs, of young people from all different races, and genders across the spectrum, many whom look very happy to be who they are.

Rating: 3/5             112 pages, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are screened due to spam.