Jun 23, 2018

Home Ground

A Gardener's Miscellany
by Allen Lacy

Enjoyed this one very much. It's another collection of little gardening essays, a man speaking from his own experience. He is obsessed with daffodils, praises or criticizes a great many other plants, expresses irritation at silly-sounding plants names in catalogs and limited selection in nursery stock. Describes many doings in his own yard and garden, and also describes a few others that he knew well- even if he never met the gardener. Each little essay feels too short- but rich with insight and lively with humor (even if he's poking gentle fun at himself). I definitely want to find more of his writings.

Rating: 4/5           259 pages, 1980

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like one I would enjoy, especially this time of year when I love working in the garden and flowerbed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a lovely book. I should have written more about it, but I was tired when I sat down to this review- you can tell.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are screened due to spam.