Feb 5, 2018

Tropical Fish as Pets

by Dr. Herbert R. Axelrod

There are some cases where an old book just shouldn't be around anymore. For once I am really disappointed in one I picked up on swap at whim, and I'm going to recycle it instead of sending out into the world again. In the first place, this isn't really a book. More of a pamphlet. I should have noticed the page count.

In the second place, it's old and outdated enough that some of the instructions, if followed, I'd consider bad advice and poor husbandry practice. It does tell a bit about common, easy plants- elodea, ludwigia, camboba, amazon swords, cryptocoryne, milfoil- but the way this puplication suggests growing them- well, there are much better methods nowadays. I have to say though, the small black-and-white photo of a tank full of crypts, vals and stems is impressive in its plant density. It would look really lush in color. The fishes mentioned are guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies, zebra danios, black tetra, angelfish, betta, pearl danio, firemouth cichlids, corydoras. That's it. Something in one of the fish descriptions made me laugh, but now I can't remember what it was. The details on their keeping is basic at best. I have much better books in terms of fish selection and disease treatment. And when it comes to an interesting look at how things used to be done, or quaint but quality photographs, this little publication just doesn't do it either. Sorry! Bye.

Rating: 1/5          32 pages, 1970

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are screened due to spam.