Jan 16, 2018

Cowboy

by Sara Davidson

I read this book. Not my usual type. I'd tried it months ago and it's been sitting on my swap shelf and kept catching my eye from there so I thought to give it another try.

It's a pseudo memoir/fiction piece by an screenwriter for the tv show Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Talks about difficulties with her ex, her spoiled kids, and her co-workers on the set. I did find parts about how the show was produced interesting. Kind of on a whim she goes to a cowboy poetry event in Elko, Nevada and meets a cowboy who makes things with braided rawhide- belts, horse bridles. They start dating. Long-distance. She pays to fly him from Arizona to visit her in Los Angeles. All the time. They are very different- in economic and social standing, background and everything else- but have a great time in bed so... what she thought would be temporary and fun turned into something long-term. He teaches her kids to behave, she gets him a job on the film set and helps him rent an apartment. The kids resent him, the co-workers look down on him, and she gets frustrated at always paying his bills. But he's so great at taking care of her emotional needs that it all works out. But it felt like there was a big part missing from the story. I couldn't put my finger on what. And through the whole thing it bugged me that she referred to her relationship as an affair. But she was divorced. I don't get it. Call it a "fling" but it's not an affair if you're not currently already in a relationship with someone, right?

Um. I could have done with less details from the bedroom and more about the troubles with her teen children (she says those parts were all made up, btw), or about her boyfriend's work with cattle and horses. That was more interesting to me, but usually sidelined for the steamy stuff. Oh well. It was a light read. One I probably won't repeat.

Rating: 2/5              270 pages, 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are screened due to spam.